Closing date: April 22nd 2019
Ron Dearing UTC has two vacancies for Parent Governors on our Governing Board.
The Governing Board's main tasks are to:
- ensure that the school has a clear vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- ensure effective policies are in place and implemented to safeguard students;
- hold the Principal to account for the educational performance of the school and its students;
- oversee the financial performance of the school, making sure its money is well spent.
In addition, Parent Governors have the following responsibilities:
- To help the board understand parents' views and remind everyone to factor the parent community into discussions. Understanding parents' perspectives helps the Board to make good decisions and ensures that there is a link between governance and the parent community. B. Parent Governors are not on the Governing Board to speak on behalf of parents.
- To advise other parents on how to follow the school Complaints procedures. B. Parent Governors do not raise parental complaints with the Governing Board on behalf of other parents.
- To separate the role as Parent Governor from the role as a ‘parent’. Parent Governors must consider issues from the perspective of all students, not just their child.
Parent Governors will be valued members of the Governing Board and play a vital role in ensuring that it is aware of the views of parents and the local community.
In looking to fill this vacancy the governors of the school have identified the following skills, experience and attributes that they feel would help strengthen the Governing Board:
- Educational leadership knowledge, skills and experience
- Charity law knowledge, skills and experience
Training and support will be available to help Parent Governors to develop into the role. This will include in-house training as well as access to external governor training.
If you feel you can help in this capacity please complete the application form (attached) and return it to Lian Longden by email to email@example.com by 22nd April 2019.
If there are more applications than vacancies, we will hold an election and you will be sent a voting paper in due course. You may return the ballot paper either via your child or by post to the school office.
Please note that, for safeguarding reasons, all governor appointments are subject to an identity check and enhanced clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Chair of Governors
« Back to main jobs page